Yeah, I don't know what it's about yet. It's random. Maybe about my son. Maybe about my work. Maybe about my childhood (free therapy). But really, at the end of the day, it's a collection of all the random things that I do/think/have happen to me that I then take the time to write about so that you, dear reader, will walk away with a new outlook on the world, or at the very least a bolster to your own ego that you're not as messed up as I am. You're welcome.

Monday, July 2, 2007

Random Act of Kindness...or...Not?

Okay, so I know I haven't explained too much on this blog yet, and already I'm behind, but - one thing I like to do every once and again is Random Acts of Kindness. (Totally Random Mom....get it? It's like a double entendre that isn't sexual! I'm a random thought person AND I commit random acts of kindness.)

Yes, maybe lame. But I like it.

Anyway, so when I get my wild hairs to be overly nice to strangers and commit a random act of kindness, I will probably come here and tell you about it. Not to get kudos or anything like that, but more to inspire you to commit your own & then tell me about it. It really is quite fun once you decide you're going to do it. I decided to start my day with a RAOK (the acronym I'll now use to indicate a random act of kindness. because I'm lazy with the typing thing and also, acronyms make things seem more official) and what better place than Starbucks??

Well - I do have issues with the tip jar thing. (What's up with that anyway? Tipping you for doing your job? It's not like they're making the standard $2.13/hr that waiters make, so what's with the tip? Can I put one on my desk at work? Should I start tipping the cashiers at 7-Eleven when they go through the arduous task of selling me my lottery tickets? Where does this end?? and PS - I use either my credit card or a starbucks card solely to avoid the situation every time.) And most people who start their day with Starbucks aren't necessarily hurting for cash. But anyway, I was there, and I remembered I needed to do a RAOK, so I just did it, okay?

I went through the drive through and it took an inordinate amount of time. Like, way longer than if all 4 cars ahead of me had ordered half frap mochas. I finally realized the problem when I arrived at the window. The cashier was not, uh, recovered from his weekend romp, apparently. But I gave him my credit card (because remember - cash = tip conundrum), explained I wanted to pay for the car behind me, and I kid you not, I sat there for 13 minutes. This is what happened during that 13 minutes:

  • I was asked no less than 4 times what I ordered for myself (a tall coffee. black.).
  • I was asked no less than 6 times why I was paying for the people behind me. (because I'm doing something nice! #)$&**&&!!!!)
  • The cashier dropped my credit card on the floor and had to call over 2 other people and a manager to help find it (this took 7 minutes by itself).
  • I was given a cold Grande cup of coffee that I had to send back.
  • I was asked for my credit card again because he never actually swiped it. For any of the transactions.

The manager finally sent the cashier off on a bathroom break, apologized to me and told me my coffee was free and gave me a buck fifty in cash (I didn't tip). I explained that I was trying to pay for the car behind me, too, and she told me not to worry, that EVERYONE in that line was getting everything they ordered for free.

Sooooo......how do I even classify that? Did I actually commit a RAOK? Or did the hung-over (or something else) cashier inadvertently commit one for a whole lot of people?

I'm counting it. I'll mark it down as a RAOK "with assistance".

No comments: